Thursday, January 13, 2005

Out of Africa

Back in NYC after a Winter reprieve that I was only aware in retrospect how much I've needed. Since I 'have' to go to Kenya annually for family stuff, I rarely focus on the benefits of a sunny vacation mid-Winter until I'm actually there. Besides over-programming myself during the three short weeks -- trips to the family village, to the coast and the game preserves -- and helping Kiboko Kidogo through some travel sickness, this was probably the best time I've had in Kenya in a while.

The most exciting thing that happened on the trip, aside from my learning how to scuba dive in the glorious, bathtub-warm waters of Pemba, was somewhat impulsively buying a painting on our final day there. KK and I went one day before a show was to open and ended up walking out with the signature painting they had used to advertise the exhibit. Actually there is a lot going on in Kenyan art and performance this day, most of it seeded by the Ford Foundation, but more power to them if it helps crowd out all the wretched tourist art with work a little more relevant to contemporary Africa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home